Ocean City Maryland Attractions
Are you planning on a trip to Ocean City Maryland, but you don't know what to do there? Well, this article will get you covered. Whether you want to go to the beach, do water sports, go fishing, stroll around, or just want to have a relaxing family weekend, Ocean City MD has so many things to offer you.
Famous Attractions In Ocean City, Maryland
When going sightseeing in Maryland, never ever forget to put Ocean City on your list. You don’t want to miss the following famous attractions that you can only find in this part of the state.
Ocean City Beach
This is a perfect place to spend your summer. It has all - sand, sun, surf, and tan. The Ocean City Maryland Beach is 10 miles long, stretching along the island's east coast. You will surely find a convenient spot to lie down and do your sunbathing. If you want to stick with the crowd, go to the southern part of the city. The northern part of the beach is ideal for families and people who want some peace and quiet. The disadvantage is that you only get to access fewer amenities.
Ocean City Boardwalk
This pedestrian is three miles long with sand and the ocean on one side and a stretch of business establishments on the other. Most of the city's famous sites are located near the Boardwalk. These include the Trimper's Rides and Amusements, Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum, and the museum of Ripley's Believe it or Not! Ocean City. The Ocean City Boardwalk is also an idyllic place for kids since there are amusement park rides and arcade games to play with.
Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum
Situated at the southern end of the Boardwalk, the Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum houses the significant history of the city. It is a small building filled with interesting artifacts from recovered shipwrecks, exhibits showing how Ocean City progressed, and local marine life forms. Additionally, the museum holds children's programs for free and other special events, making it a great place for families to visit.
Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum
If you have watched Ripley's Believe it or Not! series, then you know what's inside this museum. You can easily recognize this attraction site through the big shark coming out of the façade. Inside the building, you will see oddities coming from different parts of the world. To give you a little “word” tour, the Ripley's Believe it or Not! Museum has 12 galleries. Once you enter, you can find two-headed animals, hard-to-believe shrunken heads, and over 500 more exhibits of odd, mind-bending objects. The site also has the Candy Factory, Impossible LaseRace, and the Marvelous Mirror Maze.
Trimper's Rides and Amusement Park
The historic Trimper's Rides and Amusement Park is not just an amusement park. It has the reputation of dominating the entertainment scene in Ocean City since the late 1800s. It boasts of more than 100 rides, indoor and outdoor rides combined. Certainly, you'll be able to find suitable rides for your family. Some of its popular fun rides include Avalanche, Big
Dodgem, Bumper Boats, The Freakout, The Tidal Wave, Wacky Worm, and Zipper. Unfortunately, the Trimper's Rides are not for free. One ticket for each ride costs 50 cents. You can pay $19 for a sheet of 40 tickets. However, many visitors recommend purchasing the $23 wristband to give you unlimited access to all Timper's Rides. The downside is that the wristband is only valid until 7:00 P.M. If you wish to stay longer, you'll have to pay for single tickets from 7 P.M. until midnight.
Jolly Roger Amusement Park
Popular for being the largest amusement park in Maryland, the Jolly Roger Amusement Park is an awesome place for families. It has many attractions to try such as roller coasters, water parks, and miniature golf courses. It kids and kids at heart will definitely enjoy this amusement park. One recommended ride is the Slingshot; never leave the place without trying the most thrilling ride in Ocean City. The general admission costs $17.95 per person, but other attraction inside the park may have separate fees.
Assateague Island National Park
For a subtle and relaxing day in Ocean City, you should consider booking a day-trip to Assateague Island National Park. It's a long and lean island that stretches from the southern part of the resort area to Virginia. Herds of wild horses inhabit the island, so this is a good place if you love horses. Aside from the majestic animals, you also have clear views of the Atlantic Ocean Sinepuxent Bay. The park is open all year, but the hours depend on the season. It costs $15 for a one-week pass. You can also opt for the $30 Duck Stamp, which is an annual pass to the park and the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.
If you are up for an extreme adventure, you can try Ocean City Skydiving. It is located at Ocean City Municipal Airport. It opens from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. during weekends. So, get that adrenaline rush going for an experience you’ll never forget.
Best Hotels To Stay In
When visiting Ocean City, many travelers highly suggest selecting any of the Ocean City Boardwalk hotels. Staying near the pedestrian route makes everything accessible to you. You are near the beach, parks, restaurants, museums, and other attraction sites. With that, here are some of the best Ocean City Maryland boardwalk hotels to check out:
- Grand Hotel & Spa
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ocean City
- Commander Hotel & Suites
- Hyatt Place Ocean City
- Harrison Hotels
- Howard Johnson Oceanfront Plaza Hotel
- Paradise Plaza Inn
- Carousel Resort Hotel & Condominiums
- Holiday Inn Ocean City
- Boardwalk Hotel Group
Best Restaurants To Try
Besides the attraction sites and recommended hotels, you’d want to have a memorable food trip as well. There’s nothing good food can’t do. Where should you go? There are a few of the most recommended restaurants in Ocean City MD.
- Seacrets Ocean City MD - One of the best restaurants to try, Seacrets is a waterfront restaurant, as well as a bar and a nightclub. Featuring a Caribbean cuisine, It serves lunch and dinner, drinks, and live musical entertainment to keep you company all night.
- Captain Joe’s - A seafood restaurant that offers fresh shrimps, blue crabs, and other seafood favorites straight from The Shrimp Boat.
- Fager's Island Restaurant And Nightclub - Peaceful meal, fine dining, or a fun night out, this restaurant has everything you are craving for. You can even see the famous sunset view out on the deck.
Popular Events To Look Forward
The Ocean City MD calendar of events is packed with so many fun affairs from May to December. Many of the events are free of charge, so you’ll get to enjoy them to the fullest. There will be fairs, air shows, parades, movie watching, concerts, fireworks display, and a whole lot more. You can check this out to keep you posted.
But one event to look forward to is the Sunfest Ocean City MD, which is the biggest and most popular festival in Ocean City. It’s a four-day event, happening from September 19 to 22. It’s going to be fun-filled days of kids activities, hayrides, parades, musical entertainment, as well as arts and crafts. So, don’t miss them out.
Things You Can Do In Ocean City, Maryland
Here are some of the best things you and your family can do in Ocean City. Most of them are free of charge. But bring cash just in case you need to pay for something. There is nothing wrong to be prepared.
Family Fun For Free
What to do in Ocean City MD, you ask? The list is going to be a long one. For starters, if you are tight on budget, don't fret. There are so many things to do in Ocean City for free. The beautiful Ocean City beach stretches 10 miles and is open to the public free of charge from six in the morning until 10 in the evening. There is no need for beach tags, too!
When summer comes, your family gets to enjoy free Ocean City events and activities such as beach movies, dance parties, and concerts. Beside those recreations, Ocean City is home to many Maryland attractions that you can visit any time of the year.
- Enjoy watching movies with your family on the beach. The film viewing starts at 8:30 P.M., so don't miss that out.
- In the mood for fireworks? You'll get to see a fireworks display at the beach at 9:00 P.M.
- If you're feeling competitive, your family can participate in Family Beach Olympics every Tuesday night.
- For an educational tour for the kids, visit the Ocean City Life-Saving Station Museum. You can learn about marine and survival tips.
- Join a dance party in the evening, with local DJs to keep the entertainment alive.
- There an ice cream sundae party for the children in the evening. It comes with a small fee, though.
- For just a relaxing, stress-free activity, strolling is a good option. You and your family can go for a walk at the 3-mile Ocean City boardwalk.
Sports And Recreation For Everyone
The beach is just one part of this beautiful city. There are more fun things to do in Ocean City MD like sports and recreational activities for everyone. Beach volleyball, sailing, and surfing are typical. You can go biking, rollerblading, skateboarding, or engage in indoor activities whenever you feel like it.
- You can go biking or skating on the famous boardwalk. However, there are limited hours, especially when it's summer. If you love biking so much, you can join the Ocean City Maryland Bike Week, which happens in September.
- Participate in learning camps, which are open to kids ages 3-18 years old. The city offers over 70 programs, including arts, boogie boards, dance lessons, day camps, drama, science, and Lego camps to name a few.
- If you want to try something "more adventurous", then horseback riding is a great option. It's one of the many interesting things to do in Maryland. You can go horseback riding Ocean City beach in the early spring and during winter.
- Golfing is popular in Ocean City. Although adults play it, the city has a miniature golfing course where everyone can have fun playing it.
- Skateboarding is also popular in Ocean City. Its very own Skate Bowl Park is one of the best skateboarding places on the East Coast. The park features different obstacle courses to help skaters develop their exhibition styles. You're more than welcome to show your moves if you love skateboarding.
- Playgrounds and parks are also available in the city. So if you just want to take it easy, you can go to the park and relax.
When To Visit Ocean City, Maryland
The best time is during summer, of course. The ideal months to visit the place is in the middle of the year, from late May to September. The average temperature in Ocean City Maryland during those months can range from 21.1°C to 28.7°C. But it can be a little humid and hot when the temperature is high so be prepared for that.
It is also important to note that there will be many people during those months. Rates of OCMD hotels will be more expensive than spring months, so book several months before your planned vacation. If you are a budget traveler, you would want to consider going there in winter, from December to March. The Ocean City MD weather during the winter months is cold, but the hotel rates are way cheaper than during summer. In some cases, local accommodations won't be doing any business at all when it's off season. If you do not wish to go to Ocean City during off season you can see other attractions and things to do in Maryland.